THE P

ALACE

HISTORY
TRIBUTE

HISTORY


A PALACE BUILT OUT OF LOVE

The palace, where Casa de Arte e Cultura Julieta de Serpa (Julieta de Serpa Art and Culture House) is today, was built in 1920, and is a consequence of a love story. Demócrito Lartigau Seabra was very in love with his wife. He was the son of an important family of merchants back then, and decided to give his wife, Maria José, as a present, the most beautiful house in Rio de Janeiro. He hired a French architect to develop the project and, likewise, brought from Europe all finishing pieces (such as parquets, large windows, portals, etc.) - and decoration pieces (such as rugs, paintings, silverware, etc.). After Maria José passed away, in 1989, at age 95, the only one to still live in the palace was their oldest son, Carlos Alberto. When he passed away, in 2001, the palace was sold to a firm that wanted it demolished so they could build a building there. However, they were unable to do so, because the house had been considered a historical heritage in 1997 by the General Department of Cultural Heritage of the City's Cultural Department. Carlos Alberto Serpa de Oliveira, educator and antiquarian, became interested in the palace. He bought it in 2002 and there he established a center of culture, naming it Julieta de Serpa after his mother.





Praia do Flamengo, 340
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Telefone: (21) 2551-1278
GASTRONOMY
- Paris
- D'or Room

CONTACT
- Contact
- Register
- Event Budget